Friday, March 14, 2008

search engine optimization

Are you wondering how to obtain that top spot for your site on the big search engines? Well, I can assure you, it is not easy. Actually, unless you've got lots of money to spend, that top spot may just be impossible.

I know. I should be encouraging!

I am not saying to quit trying. You may be able to do it, but something that you can definitely do is get on that front page of listings! That is still VERY good.

My first words of wisdom to you on this is to do your research, and when you think you know everything there is to know about search engine optimization, start again. Why? SEO changes constantly. There seems to always be something new - a new way of optimizing or a new way the search engines rank sites.

There is no way possible for me to tell you everything about SEO in this blog. With that said, I am going to give you a few tips:

  • Create quality site content.
  • Research good keywords for your site (Use keywords that people search for, but keep in mind how many other sites already have these keywords. I love www.keywordtracker.com. They even have a free trial).
  • Use these keywords often in your site, but don't get ridiculous. Use them in your page titles, file names, image names, etc.
  • Do not run your words together in your file names. Use a hyphen (not an underscore).
  • Try to get other sites (relevant to your topic) to link to your page.
  • Finally, submit your site to directories and search engines!

There is so much to say about search engine optimization. I could go on forever. The most important thing is to just to your homework. Good luck!